Sunday, May 13, 2012

GVRL--

1) I click on the Title List and approximately 375 to 400 books were listed. I looked through the list and chose 'World's Religions Reference Library' and clicked on the Contents page. The contents showed me that Christianity was in Chapter 6, so I went back to the book and then clicked on Chapter six. I read a short pieceof this and then clicked on the PDF and the two page spread and read a little more. It was very informative. This was more like reading a book. The title I chose could be used for essays on religion, christianity, or one of the other religions that was listed there, such as: Buddhism, Daoism, or Ancient religions of Egypt and Mesopotamia. It covered the topics quite well.

2) My research topic was 'genealogy' which it then gave me the options and I chose 'genealogies'. It came up with 39 choices for me to choose and the first one was "Roots" a Dictionary of American History, which we all probably remember the movie that was made from this book. The book I choose to look into further was the "Genealogy Dictionary of American History" which was telling the background of how genealogy has become a certified professional field. I then click on the listen button and listened to a couple of pages of the book. Being it is a subject I like, I could have listened to the whole thing, which I may do at a later date, but do to the lateness of my entries for the class I will conclude that the reading was very good except for a little hesitation on the periods in initials, which I'm sure it was picking up as end of sentences. It was very easy to understand, esp. if you were following along as it was being read. A very handy tool for those patrons with visual handicaps.

3) Now here is the lack of knowledge of the blogging thing for me. I went into several sites and either they didn't list the lessons, didn't do all the lessons, or I just didn't understand how to get around in their sites (which is the most logical).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for doing this optional lesson, Family Searcher. You didn't find others blogging about GVRL because it is not a required lesson. Learning more won't hurt you, however! We look forward to your comments on the remaining required lessons:
    Lesson 7 WorldCat and More
    Lesson 9 Genealogy--Ancestry, HeritageQuest and Sanborn Maps
    Lesson 10 Wrap Up

    ReplyDelete